Sunday, November 2, 2014

Shackled II

Bare foot lay sideways, cold against the floor
My right shoe; shackles where there were laces.
My hands reached out, begging to find the key
Searching the dark room, a needle in hay.

My hurt and fears bound to my bounded foot
My tears and hopes held by encrusted chains.
Crying, nothing but an echoing voice
Looped circles; a deathly merry go round.

The key could hear, I could feel its presence
Calling out.. mockingly?  It must be near!
My bonds kept me from earning salvation
How does one move forward, while in the past?

A twist of metal!  As one link gave way
As if unseen forces, recognized pain.
My reach was the same, though my spirit rose
I understood, what was needed of me.

My path had been rough, so I donned a mask
Locking out all the world and all its joys.
I now lay shackled to what I’ve become
Captive to the world of my own making.

I was kept in isolation by force
A masked shadow cooed and held my hand.
Now I knew what I should have known before
One must move forward, and unchain the past.

The shackle gave way;  the chain turned to dust
I remained seated on the ice cold slab.
I was free to go on, living in dark
Or give up my bonds, my mask, and my fears.




No comments:

Post a Comment