Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Crime

Just hold me tight and tell me lies
I won’t question or resist
Promises, truths and alibis
Escape like sand through my fist

Caress me softly, as if I was your love
Your words will not tie you here
For you are like heaven, the sky above
And I am mere mortal, full of fear

I’ll rest my cheek upon your chest
Our hearts together, as if one beat
And as the icy waters crest
I’ll swim to shore, in my defeat

Pay no attention to my cries
When you start to speak of time
I’m sentimental and unwise
The punishment fits my crime

I ask that you leave me, through the night
Under the cover of gray
When the sky is dark and the moon is bright
So you can’t see me fade away



6 comments:

  1. The need to be accepted is well expressed here. Even at the expense of the heart.

    Glen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen, I appreciate you reading. Your opinion means a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. Lovely poem. I can feel the pain and feelings of unworthiness coming from the words.At least that is what the poem is saying to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Peter. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  3. You're so good at getting to the heart of things Karie. I love that everything you write is honest and raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ben. I think it's the only way I can write poetry, at the moment. Many hugs to you!

      Delete