Thursday, December 26, 2013

Trying on the Teardrops

I tried the tears on yesterday
They fell as if no time had passed away
They gathered, then rolled down my quivering face
Leaving a trail of sadness that time can’t erase

I tried the tears on one more time
To see if the years had lessened the crime
The drops were first rounded then gravity came
Elongating the pearls as if melted by flame

I tried the tears on just to see
If life had somehow hardened or softened me
They fell on their own, first one and then ten
Ending in waves that were sent to drown men

I tried the tears on one final night
To force out the darkness and usher in light
They burned as they fell, as a parting goodbye
Promising to return, should things go awry


8 comments:

  1. Tears, oh tears!

    Karie, beautiful combination of words, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, A.J.! Your support always means so much! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Glen. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your opinion means a great deal to me. :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful. Very lyrical. Dry those tears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Done, Peter! You always make me laugh. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  4. beautiful words painting a picture some of know only too well,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. Tears are universal.

      Delete