Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Kiss in the Rain

“It’s just so syrupy sweet!  Life isn’t like that, and the more they try to tell us that “this is what romance looks like”, the more we will always feel like we’re falling short of providing OR receiving the real thing.  It’s a farce.  One way to sucker women in to believing that men like that actually exist, and another way for men to feel that woman are just sappy little vapid creatures who really only want to be taken under a strong man’s arm and swept away.  Frankly, it does more harm than Slasher films.  At least everyone watching those gore-fests know that it’s made-up Hollywood crap.  No one expects to go camping and have a hockey-masked-wearing, revenge-seeking-zombie chasing you with a machete.  These schlocky romance films become something people aspire to be.  Give me Jason or Freddy anytime.”

“Is that the end of your tirade Anna, or do you have any more lessons in romance you’d like to offer?”

“Don’t be patronizing, James.  We’re being spoon-fed this false ideal of love, and everyone seems to be swallowing it down…willingly!  Not only THAT, but people are actually waiting in line and paying  an absurd amount of money  on movie tickets in order to be shown what “romance” really is.  Where has that gotten us?  The divorce rate in the US is over 50 % alone.  And that’s being generous.  Maybe we should spend a little less time dreaming of passionate kisses in the rain, and a little more time living in reality.”

“You’re such a bleeding heart.  I don’t know, Anna.  I like romance movies.  I don’t believe that what happens on screen translates to how my life should be led.  I’m not a puppet.  I just like to see a happy ending.  Shoot me. And if you didn’t want to go to the movie, you should have just said so.”

Anna rolled her eyes and shook her head, making her earrings twirl in the darkness.

****

They continued their walk in silence, each deep in their own thoughts.  Anna and James had known each other a long time.  It was going on close to 30 years since they first met at the municipal park of their hometown.  They had both grabbed for the same swing, and an instant friendship was formed.  Since that day, they had always been in each other’s lives – either face-to-face, or through phone calls and letter writing, now sending emails.

They’ve never been intimate.  They’ve always just been friends.  Well, that’s not exactly true.  James had tried to put the moves on Anna once, when they were both tipsy on plum wine, but it was awkward and clumsy and embarrassing.  They never talked about the experience again.  They both never touched plum wine again, either.

James was married and going through a divorce.  Anna had never married.  Neither of them had children. Both of them successful, almost mid-aged adults who seemed to be an odd friend match.  Anna was direct and abrasive.  James was easy-going and liked to please.  Anna made a To-Do list for everything, James just winged it.   Had they met as adults, neither would have given a second thought to the other.  As it was, however, they both couldn’t imagine their lives without the other.

***

James coughed a little to break the silence.

“Speaking of romance, Anna Banana, when are you going to settle down with that heart-throb Richard?”

“Don’t call me Anna Banana, and why should I “settle” for anything?  Much less settle “down”?”

“Good Lord, you are in a mood tonight.  What happened?  Did a flying farm house drop on your sister? Jeezus.”

“Very funny,” Anna softened.  “Sorry, J – I don’t know what’s wrong with me.  That movie just put me over the edge.”

“Wanna talk about it?  Our café is 2 blocks up.”

“Let’s just walk a little while. If you don’t mind.”

James shrugged.  He knew Anna well enough to let her be.  She meant no harm, and was the kindest person he’d ever met, once you got over her scaly exterior and venomed tongue.

They trudged down the avenue, peering into storefronts and making meaningless small talk until Anna felt ready to begin.
***

“The thing is, J...I don’t know what I want anymore.  My whole life I worked towards a career, focusing on climbing the corporate ladder, achieving more, earning respect.  Now, I’m not sure why.  I don’t even particularly like what I do. It’s just what I’ve always done.  It’s what I expected of myself.  It’s what others expected of me.

“Watching that sob-fest tonight just opened my eyes to that fact.  I’m no different, no better, no stronger than any of those women running in to the arms of their knight in shining armor.  It’s what was expected of them."

James listened and nodded, understanding that Anna was finally coming to a realization that he had come to years before.  She was fighting a battle, but only with herself. 

“I’m not sure what to do with myself.  Let’s face it.  Richard’s a nice guy, but do you actually see us together?  What’s that lyric, “we’re just two lost souls, swimming in a fishbowl, year after year”.  That’s how I feel about us.  Never connecting, floating through this world, confined to our habitat.  Is this love?  Is this…it?”

The rain had started to fall and was picking up in intensity.  Anna didn’t seem to notice, and James didn’t mind.  He stood there, watching her look more lost than he could ever remember her looking, and more real.

She caught sight of him staring at her and tilted her head to one side, questioning without saying a word.

“I’m glad you’ve finally realized what I’ve known all of these years, Anna.  Your climb to the top was your way of avoiding anyone, anything that might hurt you.  You achieved success, but are still lacking that one thing that will make you complete.”

James inched towards Anna and gently lifted her chin with his hand.

They kissed.  The type of kiss that can only be described as passionate; in the rain and underneath the flickering lamp-post.  They kissed.  And all of their troubles melted away.

***

“What in the hell was that?!  We finally have a strong woman to look up to. One who says it like it is. Breaks down the fairy tale romance machine that has been building since before I saw Disney’s “Cinderella”, and with one rainy night and one clichéd epiphany, she’s gone?!  Poof?!  Another damsel rescued by the clear-headed gentleman?  Why did I pay to see this movie?  I could watch countless commercials on TV for more entertainment value and less money!”


Michael sighed.  “Calm down, Susan.  It’s only a movie.”


4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I was right there with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! It's difficult to come up with a new twist in a genre that is way over done ! :)

      Delete
  2. A very clever ending Karie. I really enjoyed this, such a great job. :) I like Anna, she talks sense ;)

    Just thought I'd point out that James' name changed to John briefly in the middle lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'oh! I don't even know my character's names. Thanks for that catch :) I'm glad you liked it. Anna is my intelligent side. Who obviously doesn't come out to play very often!

      Delete