Monday, February 3, 2014

The Ladies

Dresses tattered.  Eyes vacant
Hair matted.  Souls ancient
To the touch of a man, their bodies yielded
Their hearts away, barred and shielded
Love an illusion, a poets dream
A haunting phantom, a cruel scheme

Shoes battered.  Gaze blurry
Nails glittered.  Memory murky
In exchange for themselves, given to coin
Their senses stolen, their innocence purloined
Happiness a devil, a smile that stings
A thief in disguise, a taker of things

Beauty shattered.  Features sunken
Bones jutted.  Selves shrunken
Thrown away by the world, in nowhere land
Life dealt them a cruel, a deadly hand
Existence a sentence, for a mortal sin
Playing a game they never can win



4 comments:

  1. I like the descriptive words used, as it gives a good reflection of the lifestyles of the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment :)

      Delete
  2. Your poem slapped me in the face and made me say, whoa. Very atmospheric, cold and bleak. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. Should I be happy you felt what my words were trying to show? :) Yes.

      Delete