Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fool's Gold

I’m plasticized wood
A grinning wolf in a hood
Waiting at Lil Red’s door

I’m a snake oil salesman
A good luck talisman
I’ll give you some, you’ll still want more

I’m fool's gold and ivory soap
A maker of horoscopes
Taking what I can get

I’m a preacher and savior
I won’t judge your behavior
As long as my needs are always met

I work at the carnival
No sweat. I’ve seen it all
Seeing the people take their ride

I stand in the shadows
With the broken down scarecrows
I’ve watched you walk, I’ll make you stride

I’m a ghost from your nightmare
A smile from your worst scare
A shining light that lies in the dark

I’m plasticized wood
A grinning wolf in a hood
I’ll give you some, you’ll still want more






9 comments:

  1. I like this bunches, Karie. The metaphor continues throughout. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glen!! I'm actually really proud of this one. It sings in my noggin'.

      Delete
  2. Really like the title and theme of the poem. The thoughts flow through your words. Enjoyed this Lady Butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all of you help! The poem is better because you have generously and gently guided me towards a better end.

      Delete
    2. My pleasure Lady Butterfly! I can just see the person reading it, although the gender is a bit hazy! And I'd be sure to avoid him or her lol.

      Delete
  3. This would make a beautiful rap song. Touching and thoughtful. Kharis Macey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kharis! I definitely wrote this with a song/rhythm in my brain! Thanks so much for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Karie, this is freaking awesome! I LOVE this poem. This put all kinds of interesting and bizarre images in my head while reading it. For some reason I got a 60's "cool" vibe from it. I had to read it three times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Peter! Sorry for the delayed response. My comments section was working. I'm so glad you liked this one. I see the "cool" vibe in it too. It was written with a tune in mind, Now to see if I can translate it to song. :)

      Delete