Sunday, January 19, 2014

I Wonder

I often wonder
You, the man who stings
If you were to have a daughter
Would that somehow change some things?

Would that awaken in you
Memories when you did great harm
Would you feel a painful shudder
As she nestles in your arm?

Would you recognize your actions
Understand your guilt
Would you promise to try harder
Tearing down what you have built?

Would you own up to your transgressions
Try and be a better man
Would you take the steps you need
To fix what you still can?

And so I’m left to wonder
You, the man who stung
Now that you have a daughter
Have the changes at last begun?




10 comments:

  1. This really resonates, Karie. Truly a profound piece of writing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amy. You write so beautifully, this is a tremendous compliment coming from you :)

      Delete
  2. Love it so much. Karma in its essence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This goes to deep places. This is why I love reading poetry. I can slip into someones thoughts for a brief moment and see things through their eyes. A beautiful poem Karie and you didn't even have to be awake to write it. You are a sleeping genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! I can't express how much I appreciate your support and kind words.

      Delete
  4. Love the rhetorical questions and implied answers. Well written Lady Butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really appreciate your feedback. Thank so much for reading :)

      Delete