Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Arborist


The Arborist

 
 
The tree it stood, strong and true
Its branches bent like elbows do
Flowered in colors, green in hue
It’s beauty not yet seen by you 

I thought by now I’d be
Somewhere new
I thought by now I’d be
Someone new 

The roots have died, poisoned the tree
Its limbs hang about helplessly
The leaves are dried, for all to see
All the beauty gone from thee 

The thoughts preoccupy my mind
(I never knew)
The thoughts preoccupy my mind
(but They knew) 

The axe is held, my hand it grips
The beaded sweat upon the lips
The action swung, the skin it rips
The markings left, as it whips 

Stuck in a cage of my own design
Alone with you
Stuck in a cage of my own design
Alone without you 

The tree once stood, strong and true
Its branches bent like elbows do
Flowered in colors, green in hue
It’s beauty no longer seen by you
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. I love this, Karie. I read it a few times and the mystery is intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much Amy! That means a lot coming from you. You're writing is always incredible. Thanks so much for reading :)

      Delete
  2. A truly haunting poem. 'This the season.

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, Frederick. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete
  3. Some of the best poetry I have read since coming on G+, I loved the way you linked something as seemingly strong as a huge tree to emotions, but then the verse about the roots show just how easy it is to topple the near indestructible. 10/10 from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tremendous compliment, Squid. I'm so glad you connected with it. I always appreciate your support and feedback! :)

      Delete
  4. I like this. It brings out emotion in the reader. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Francine. I'm not a poetry writer, so I'm so happy to see that the emotion came through. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete
  5. This should be better turned into a song... beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nikkah. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That's interesting...I didn't think of it as a song, but rereading I can definitely see where you're coming from. You have an eye! :)

      Delete
  6. I found this poem quite haunting and love the rhythm and repetition - I agree with Nikkah, and think it has great potential as lyrics to the right music - do know any singer/songwriters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teagan, I'm so happy you liked it. You and Nikkah have me thinking now....I do know some musicians. I'll see if they feel this is something they could work with. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  7. This is a striking poem Karie. I feel honoured that I was one of the first to read it. Thank you so much. It has stayed with me ever since :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best, Ben. I am so lucky to have found a true kindred spirit and friend with you. You make me laugh and are always there for a quick read or a supportive word. Not to mention your amazing talents as a writer. Thank you so much for everything!

      Delete